Email: Password: Remember Me | Create Account (Free)

Back to Subject List

Old thread has been locked -- no new posts accepted in this thread
Kai Klaas
05/31/05 04:34
Read: 2897 times
Germany

#94134 - Ground routing techniques
Responding to: Mehdi's previous message
Mehdi said:
I am always routing GND net in starburst method and other nets to shortest?Am i right?

To achieve a proper ground routing in sophisticated applications can be more an art than a science. You must always be clear, what kind of currents are flowing across your ground star point(s) and must always take into consideration, that there's no ONE single ground in any application. There are as many ground points as components and cable terminals exist. The interesting question then is, how to group these many ground points together, or better, how to connect these individual ground points together and where.

Let's have a look at three simple examples:

The picture above shows, that it's distinguished between two grounds, an analog one and a digital one. Each ground should be made of a solid ground plane. Both grounds are joined together at only one single point, namely directly at Vss pin of MCP3201.

In the second example

and

you can see, how two ground star points are choosen, one at the micro board and one at the driver board. (Take care, there are two different akkus in this application!) All the cables running from the micro board to driver board are filtered, with the according caps referenced to the central ground star point at the micro board. This keeps the digital noise minimal across the connection between both ground star points. Any digital ground return currents flowing back from driver board to micro board are current limited by the help of 10k resistors at the outputs of 4025 and at the bases of BC550B.
Minimizing ground noise between several local ground star points, like in the example above is always essential! It's always of benefit to keep digital ground noise as low as possible. For this have a look what currents are flowing there, and how they can be minimized. If resistors cannot be used, then soft ferrite chokes (common mode types preferred) shoud be inserted.

The last example shall focuse on video drivers and recievers. Here the concept of one common and central ground star point will not work, especially if we have a look how the cables shields are treated. They MUST be conncted to signal ground at both ends, even if they are lumped together elsewhere in the application! The reason is, that only the cable shield is the correct ground connection between video drivers and video recievers. Any other ground connection instead would violate the signal transmission physics in the video cable, where electromagnetic waves are running in a transmission line.
If troubles occur due to multi grounding (ground loops), then this must be solved by different techniques, like insertion of video transformers or the use of symmetrical signal routing.

Kai

List of 22 messages in thread
TopicAuthorDate
Info on Murata Inductors for LC filter ?      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/27/05 03:55      
   Ground routing and filtering        Kai Klaas      05/27/05 04:57      
      Examples of soft ferrites      Kai Klaas      05/27/05 05:07      
         good link      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/27/05 17:13      
      Ground routing      Mehdi      05/27/05 07:24      
         Ground routing techniques      Kai Klaas      05/31/05 04:34      
      Ferrite on cables and filtering      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/27/05 17:05      
         Answers...        Kai Klaas      05/31/05 05:18      
            many of my questions are answered ! :)      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/31/05 12:16      
               Long lines      Kai Klaas      06/01/05 08:50      
                  the other reason      Erik Malund      06/01/05 09:24      
                     Buffers good !      Farshid Jafari Harandi      06/01/05 17:18      
                  my next PCB would be way much better !      Farshid Jafari Harandi      06/01/05 17:18      
   BL02RN2 in Tehran      Payam Soltany      05/27/05 20:10      
      thanks a thousand dear payam      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/28/05 09:28      
         On-Board Type EMI Suppression Filters      Payam Soltany      05/28/05 18:37      
         Basics of EMI Filters      Payam Soltany      05/28/05 18:38      
         More...      Payam Soltany      05/28/05 18:40      
         Tell me when it's enough        Payam Soltany      05/28/05 18:43      
            you're doing a favor for me!      Farshid Jafari Harandi      05/28/05 19:49      
               Not all available in Tehran probabely//      Payam Soltany      05/28/05 20:40      
               BL02RN2 Datasheet      Payam Soltany      05/28/05 21:13      

Back to Subject List